Katie

 

The year is officially over for ceramics and we wrapped it up with our township extravaganza! At the very beginning of the year, the advanced ceramics and I were given an assignment to have a display both for the windpter open house and this extravaganza. The task was difficult, but certainly rewarding. Through the year, I have enjoyed making and creating new things for myself and others. At the very end of the year, our classroom kiln broke. While this was a disappointment and not something anyone could have prevented, it was disappointing to see that not all of our pieces came out finishes. Even given these circumstances, the extravaganza was still fun and I have a lot of work to show from this year. I feel I have grown this year as a ceramics student and learned many new techniques I can continue to use to manipulate clay the way I want. I’m very happy with the work I have created this year and hope to continue on with it in college or in some other way throughout my life. 🙂

182898E9-3C4F-49BD-B728-A74E37146EB3

Right back to the beginning!  Again, the advanced ceramics students and I were given the assignment of making another display of our artwork.  This time, however, it will be displayed at the Extravaganza at the end of the school year which is opened to the public as well.  We were also given the option to continue on with our themes that we started with at the beginning of the school year or to continue on in a different direction.  After serious consideration, I decided to stray from my original nature theme.  After finishing up with my Christmas ornaments and bowl, I took a while to decide on what my next endeavor would be.  It took a lot of research, but I finally decided to make a giant cookie jar!  I started right away and rolled out two slabs.  Because the jar is so wide in circumference, I had too slip and score the two sides of the slab together and then attach it all into a cylindrical shape.  The cookie jar was definitely a challenge to work with due to its large size but I’m satisfied with the way it turned out.  After that, I made another three-tier bowl just like one I had made my first year of ceramics because there was an accident in my house so it had to be replaced.  Additionally, I made a tray too hold all of the cookies I will be putting into my jar and a three-piece lantern set.  I’m continuing to research to find what I will made next, but I am very excited and ready to get started on work for my final stretch of the year as an HT ceramics student! 🙂IMG_0416

This marking period, I was able to successfully glaze all of my items from the first marking period and also make a few extra pieces to put in my open Art House display. Additionally, I had extra time to do a few fun holiday projects so I was able to make a bowl with different holiday objects surrounding it and ornaments to go on our Christmas tree. They also made perfect Christmas presents! So far, I’ve been happy with my work this year and strive to continue with the same work ethic through out he rest of the year. I’m proud to say that my display was a success and ready for viewing because at the beginning of the year, this challenge seemed near impossible to me. I look forward to continuing my work with clay and hope to continue to do things to challenge, push myself to be a better ceramic student, and learn new techniques to try with clay.

At the start of the year, I struggled with the two assignments given to me.  The first assignment was to make some sort of animal head which would be incorporated into a vessel.  I’ve never really done anything this detailed before , however set on making a fish head. When I formed it, I cut all of the excess clay out of the center in my mind thinking not to waste clay. After doing this, I then began to come up with ideas of what to do and landed on creating it into the mouth of a pitcher by chance. I’m very happy I did. The second assignment given was to form one commonality between all the pieces to be made from the beginning of the year until December. Given that the fish is such a big piece, it took a lot of time to come up with a theme for all of my pieces but I finally settled on having nature be the binding concept between all of the pieces. So far, I’ve been doing alright with it but I’ve definitely had my challenges. The flower pot I made originally was supposed to have a braid around it, however it didn’t look right so instead I rolled out a slab and put the braid around it. And for the flower pot, I did all sorts of carving around it instead. The roses I made were also inspired by chance as well. I twisted some of the leftover clay from a slab and it resembled a flower which inspired me to make more to go along with the flower pot. I’m very excited to see what else I’m able to accomplish before the art show! 🙂

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements